Lesson Title: I Can’t Believe You Said That – Social Filters
- PS:C1.11 Learn coping skills for managing life events
- PS:A2.6 Use effective communications skills
- PS:A1.8 Understand the need for self-control and how to practice it
- Define what a social filter is and why it is important
- I Can’t Believe You Said That by Julia Cook
- Social Filter PowerPoint
- Have you ever said something that you regretted?
- Has someone ever said something to you that hurt your feelings?
For those of you who have raised your hand, you have experienced what happens when you or someone else doesn’t use their social filter! A social filter is a way that we can decide what we should or should not say. We’re going to read a book called I Can’t Believe You Said That by Julia Cook to learn more about social filters.
Read I Can’t Believe You Just Said That.
Explore the importance of using a social filter and how to practice using this skill with the following PowerPoint:
- How can you practice using a social filter at school? Home? Community?
- Why is this important?
- What would happen if everyone used a social filter?